This is an email to the I-35W@94 email list. I want to update you on some of the major efforts planned on the project this year. I have attached the updated fact sheet for 2020.
I also want to bring to your attention to work happening near the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport on Highway 5 and Interstate 494 that will affect people headed to the airport. I have attached a fact sheet about that work. Please make sure anyone in your operations that flies out of MSP is aware of this work and the web page.
We also have some closures for maintenance work this week. All closures are weather permitting and subject to change. Please visit www.511mn.org for real-time traffic updates.
· Work and lane closures will occur on Lake Street between Blaisdell Avenue and Fifth Avenue starting March 30-Nov. 1.
· The 46th Street ramp to I-35W north will close this summer for the remainder of the project.
· Crews will shift to working on the northbound lanes of I-35W this summer.
· The ramps from I-35W north to Fifth Avenue and from Fourth Avenue to I-35W south in downtown Minneapolis will be closed for up to three months starting in late April.
· At least one planned weekend full closure of I-35W between Highway 62 and I-94.
Around The Airport https://www.aroundtheairport.com/
Crews will reconstruct Highway 5 between 34th Avenue and Highway 62 near Fort Snelling. It includes bridge and ramps repairs and will require a full closure of Highway 5 east from April to late July and a full closure of Highway 5 west from August to October. The detour is Highway 77, Highway 62 and the direction of Highway 5 that is open at the time.
The project is scheduled to start March 23, weather permitting, as crews extend the ramp from northbound Highway 77 onto eastbound Highway 62. Crews will also add a temporary lane into Terminal 1 of the MSP Airport from westbound Highway 5 and add a temporary lane out of Terminal 1 of the MSP Airport to westbound Highway 5. Highway 5 will remain open until this work is complete, probably in early April. This work will help the traffic flow when eastbound Highway 5 between Interstate 494 and the Mississippi River closes in April.
Between March 23 and eastbound Highway 5 closing, the following traffic restrictions will take place:
· The ramp from Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport Terminal 1 to westbound Highway 5 will be closed 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. for up to five nights.
· The right lane of eastbound Highway 62 will be closed between Bloomington Avenue and 28th Avenue from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. for up to five nights.
· The ramp from northbound Highway 77 to eastbound Highway 62 will be closed from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. for up to five nights.
· The ramp from eastbound Highway 62 to westbound Highway 5 will be closed from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. for one night.
We will update the web pages and the email list as plans become more certain.
Additional web pages: https://www.dot.state.mn.us/metro/projects/hwy5mpls-stpaul/index.html
· The ramp from I-94 west to Maple Grove Parkway is closed from 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Wednesday, March 11.
· The left turn lane of Highway 55 west to Hennepin County Road 24 is closed between 9 a.m. and noon Thursday, March 12.
· The left lane of Highway 212 between I-494 and Hwy 62 is closed from 7 p.m. Wednesday, March 11 to 5 a.m. Thursday, March 12.
· The right lane and right shoulder of Highway 252 north will be closed from 9 p.m. Thursday, March 12 to 5 a.m. Friday, March 13.
Please let me know if you have any questions.
Minnesota Department of Transportation
Metro Communications and Engagement