Hennepin and 1st avenues (County Road 52) in Minneapolis
Bridge inspections start this Monday
Starting Monday, September 30, Minnesota Department of Transportation and Hennepin County bridge crews will inspect bridges on Hennepin and 1st avenues (County Road 52) over the Mississippi River.
Routinely done every one to two years as part of federal guidelines, bridge inspections allow engineers and technicians to thoroughly examine the bridge to check its condition to determine if preventative maintenance work is needed.
To inspect these bridges, crews will use large bucket trucks called snooper trucks parked on the bridge to examine the sides and underneath.
Bridge inspections will occur daily on weekdays between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.
- The week of September 30, MnDOT crews will inspect the Hennepin Avenue Bridge west of Nicollet Island.
- The week of October 7, Hennepin County bridge crews will inspect the Hennepin and 1st avenue bridges east of Nicollet Island.
This timing is subject to change due to weather or other circumstances.
Access and traffic impacts
At least two lanes in each direction will be maintained for motor vehicle traffic and bike lanes and sidewalks will remain open. Signage, cones and barricades will be on-site to guide you around the work areas.
- People driving should expect single lane closures depending on where crews are working.
- People biking can expect temporary lane shifts.
- People walking,running and rolling on the bridge can expect intermittent, short-term delays.
Expect delays when traveling through the area. For your safety and the safety of our crews, please exercise caution and slow down as you travel through the area.