This email is being sent on behalf of MnDOT regarding the I-35W/Lake Street project. First, we want to introduce you to Aaron Tag, MnDOT, who will be taking over some of Scott Pedersen’s responsibilities on the project as we start construction. Aaron can be reached at aaron.tag or 651-234-7880. You will be hearing much more from Aaron in the future. Please let us know if you would like to meet with the project team for an update or would like a presentation at one of your future board or committee meetings.
The purpose of this email is to provide you with an update on the I-35W/Lake Street reconstruction project, which will begin in mid- to late August, 2017. As you know, this will be a 4 ½ year construction project, lasting until the end of 2021. A community open house has been scheduled for August 17, 5-7 p.m. at Hope Community Center, 611 E. Franklin Avenue, to discuss the 2017 work, in particular, as well as to provide an overview of the entire project.
We hope that you will help us get the word out that construction will be starting and about the community open house. A PDF of a postcard announcement is attached for your use as needed. This postcard has been mailed to all addresses within about one-half mile of the project corridor. We have several other products available, including in multiple languages, so please let us know if there’s something you need.
We wanted to let you know that there are MnDOT and consultant staff out in the neighborhoods who are spreading the word about the upcoming construction. Some of the things we are doing include:
- Door-to-door canvassing of businesses and residents, particularly near the Portland Avenue and Franklin Avenue bridges and along 4th and 5th Avenues
- Pop-ups at many bus stops, farmers markets, key gathering spots, large employers
- Tabling at community events and festivals
- Information distribution to faith-based organizations
- Posters, billboards, print ads and ethnic radio spots
- Website and social media postings
Project information is being provided in English, Spanish and Somali and can be made available in other languages if needed. Please let us know if you have any other suggestions for ways we might reach people about the upcoming I-35W construction.
Work that is expected to occur in 2017 includes:
- Modification of the Portland Avenue bridge over I-94 – the bridge will be closed to traffic for 6-8 weeks. Pedestrians, bicycles and emergency vehicles will be able to use the bridge.
- Removal and replacement of the Franklin Avenue bridge over I-35W. This work will be completed by June 2018. Franklin will be closed between Clinton Avenue and Portland Avenue. Local access to alleys will be permitted.
- 4th Avenue will be reconstructed between 22nd Street and 18th Street, including sidewalks and noise walls.
- 5th Avenue will be reconstructed between 22nd Street and 18th Street, including sidewalks. The noise walls and retaining walls north of Franklin will be removed but cannot be replaced until 2021 due to temporary bypass lanes that need to be constructed on i-35W through this area.
- Ramps that will be closed in 2017 include the WB I-94 exit ramp to 11th Street (6-8 weeks), the 5th Avenue entrance ramp to EB I-94, and the 5th Avenue entrance ramp to NB I-35W.
Specific details of construction staging will not be known until mid-August after a contract with the apparent low bid team has been executed. Please refer people to the project website for additional information at www.dot.state.mn.us/metro/projects/i35wminneapolis. For specific inquiries, they can go to:
Project hotline: 612-284-612
Project email: info
And please feel free to contact Aaron, me or Denise Workcuff (denise.workcuff or 651-234-7502), the MnDOT communications lead for the I-35W/Lake Street project, if you have any questions, would like to schedule a meeting, or would like to discuss the project and/or 2017 work in more detail.
Sent on behalf of Aaron Tag, MnDOT, and the I-35W/Lake Street team.
Charleen Zimmer, President
Zan Associates | 105 5th Avenue S, Suite 130 | Minneapolis, MN 55401
Office: 612.354.2101 | Direct/Cell: 612.251.1920 | czimmer | Fax: 612.886.2457